3/22/13

Five for Friday 13: Favorite Non-RPG Games

I am a fan of games--card games, board games, war games, to name some that I enjoy (I avoid video, online, and PC games as I have no interest in living a life of addiction, rehab, and relapse). Here are some card and board games that I enjoy (in alphabetical order):
  • Acquire: I first played the older edition back in the early 1980s. The current rendition is a Wizards of the Coast production.
  • Apples to Apples: My favorite party game.
  • Dutch Blitz: Moving to southcentral Pennsylvania (Amish Country) and marrying into a Mennonite family has given me a deep appreciation of this game. It is one of the few Anabaptist outlets for otherwise forbidden aggressive tendencies.* Think of it as a cross between Uno and MMA. It is not a game for polite lapsed Lutherans from the Midwest...I always have the most cards in the my hand at the end of the game. Keep your elbows out and tender parts in a safe place at all times.
  • Fluxx: A card game that is like Uno on streroids--the rules of the game are written on the cards so the game changes with each card played. There are lots of expansion packs: Family, Pirates, Zombie and Cthulu, to name a few.
  • Settlers of Catan: My introduction to European/German style strategy board games. I really like this entire genre of board and strategy games and wish I could play more than once every other year or so.
What are your favorite non-RPG, non-digital/electronic games?

*Someday I'll have to post about the surprising amount of fighting by the Amish in our local rec hockey leagues.

8 comments:

  1. I've played all those except the Acquire. I'm not a big fan of board games or card games. Within the last couple of years we've played Munchkin, that was fun and the Game of Throne game. Since those are the last ones I player I will go with them, but usually if it isn't RPGs and me shooting someone on Black Ops 2 I don't really play it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Dutch Blitz sounds dangerous.

    For me I'd say (for the most part in no particular order): Chess, Talisman, Dungeon! (Mrs. B likes playing latter two, so that's pretty cool), Panzer Leader, Up Front (Mrs. B actually plays that one too, surprisingly).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. I just saw I'm now officially on the Über-Goobers list. Very cool! I am honored!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play a lot of FLUXX (the next-to-most recent version) with my ESL students. It's easy to learn and forces them to read a lot. The newer version with Keepers and Creepers, though, takes too much extra explanation so it's not as effective for me as a teaching tool. Plus I like the early version.

    I never played the others on your list.

    Otherwise I like a lot of video games, I like Munchkin, Illuminati, and Chaos in the Old World. And that Cthulhu cooperative boardgame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting thing about Amish culture is how they "Dutch" up more common games to allow for aggressive competition and simultaneous play. Amish variants of Uno and Scrabble are at least as violent as Dutch Blitz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On video games: My daughter, now 20 y.o., tried to talk me into World of Warcraft about 5 years ago (it was a gift to her from my parents, but it was on my credit...the gift that kept on taking...but it did give me parental controls, which I used ruthlessly...but I digress). My daughter kept asking me why I wouldn't play as "I would really like it." I explained to her that "I love my family, I love my friends, I love my job, and on some days, I even like our house." I didn't want to end up living under a bridge after losing everything to a gaming addiction. She completely understood (which is why I had the parental control power when she played).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would add Munchkin in there (which would make it Six for Friday).

    I didn't include strategy/wargame type games. That is another Five for Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bard: It is a dubious distinction, at best.

    ReplyDelete