9/27/13

Good Stuff in the Mail

Another Amazon box arrived at work, bringing a delightful mix of history books and gaming goodness (plus a book for my wife, I should add...I am not all about me, just mostly about me).
The first gaming item is the Pathfinder GameMastery Critical Hit Deck. 52 cards of devastating fun. We had a chance to try them out during our Monday night Montporte Dungeon session when Duncan scored a critical hit while throwing a dagger (a natural 20 plus a second roll scored as a hit). Because we were playing in Google Hangout, I had to draw the card, but there was still a payout. His dagger did double damage to the intended target plus hit and damaged a second target. This turned the tide of the battle in a hurry. Realistic? Maybe not. Fun for our group? Definitely yes.
But the real fun starts when someone rolls a critical miss (a natural 1 plus a second roll that misses). It hasn't happened since we started using the card decks, but it will. I am a big fan of critical misses. Whether we are playing GURPS, Swords & Wizardry, or now Blood & Treasure, critical misses always create more tension and excitement than critical hits. So, to facilitate the fun, I also picked up the Pathfinder GameMastery Critical Fumble Deck. 52 cards of mishaps and mayhem. I can't wait to inflict them on my players use them in our game.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the through and through with the dagger on the critical hit was pretty fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will add some fun and unpredictability to the game. In this case, I just didn't have the time and energy to come up with anything even remotely similar.

      Delete
  2. Those cards are going to bite us in the ass one of these sessions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember, it is the cards that are doing the biting, not the GM.

      Delete