9/29/13

Roll20 and Google+ Hangout

Our Monday Night Gaming Group has been using Fantasy Grounds 2 and Skype for several years. FG is very pretty, allows for sharing of multiple maps, and the rule support is excellent (a real bonus with GURPS). However, we have lost a few nights and have had many delays because of FG issues. We have also had Skype issues.

With the Montporte Dungeon Campaign, I have been using Roll20 and we are getting more acclimated to it. It works particularly well in conjunction with Google Hangout. It is not as pretty as FG and it doesn't have all the functionality of FG. However, for our d20 game (Blood & Treasure), it is simple to use, reliable, and facilitates play.

6 comments:

  1. I like Roll20 -- I find it a tad more user-friendly than FG (especially not having to open ports and such), which is not a huge deal, but nice if you're a bit computer-challenged like me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The port issue can be simple if you are comfortable with messing with computer settings, but it can be a significant challenge to set up otherwise. I had the similar issues with GameTable.

      Delete
  2. Roll20 has been working out exceptionally well. Along with the use of Google Hangouts there have been fewer issues with connecting. Now I just need to get into Roll20 and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless I have a FG Ruleset, I am thinking Roll20 is better all around. I used it to run a Fate game for Josh and another friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rob: Now that you have shown me how the Fate/Fudge dice works in Roll20, I would use it for Fate, too.

      Delete